-->

Monday, April 23, 2012

Alder Manor

This weekend I took Metro North to Greystone and walked the uphill route to Alder Manor where I am thrilled to be decorating a wedding in August. I've seen photos of this location and have wanted to visit for some time so it was a treat of a walk-through for me. Imagine a couple and their only child living in a 72 room mansion with an organ with pipes at the top of a grand staircase. Walk up to the second floor and enter the pool room(and I'm not talking table, a real deep pool!) with his and hers bathrooms on either end beyond curved doors which continue the oval shape of the room.
The Manor was designed by Carrere and Hastings and shares some similarities to the Frick Mansion in NY which they were also commissioned to build. The only difference is the state of abandonment and decay which the property has fallen to. It only adds to the charm of course and I secretly hope it never gets cleaned up or at least if it does, that the restoration retain the patina of age which it now carries.
Looking forward to adding our embellishments to this setting!

0 comments: